Forum

Is PDCA during QRQC really worth spending time on?  

RSS

alphard
(@alphard)
Active Engineer
12/02/2018 3:40 pm  

I am a design engineer in the automobile industry. Sometimes I wonder about how effective PDCA process is. It seems like the production team really does spend a lot of time on this during the QRQC process. Just last week, there was a problem from the OEM and I already told them what could be the solution but they ended up spending a lot of time and the deliveries were delayed. Anyone faced similar issues?

ReplyQuote
serena
(@serena)
Active Engineer
12/02/2018 6:54 pm  

Hey @alphard, could you explain more about the problem? It is not very clear from what you wrote.

Afaik, PDCA is an integral part of the QRQC process. It is done to find out the 'genin' or the root cause at the 'genba'. I am not sure why you thought it was a waste of time since without finding the root cause, the solution might not be correct one. But anyway, since your explanation is not clear, maybe the production side did indeed waste time on it.

PS: I am a production engineer with one of the big automotive firms.

ReplyQuote
falcon
(@falcon)
Active Engineer
12/02/2018 7:23 pm  

Yeppers, I agree with @serena completely. If something has to be done, especially design or process change, it has to be done after very thorough confirmation. What you are thinking of is the matter from the design side. But there might be other reasons out of the 4M factors which would mean that your design change might actually be futile.

This is why PDCA is done. Btw if you could explain the problem more clearly, it would be better to come to a conclusion on whether the production teams wasted time or not (unlikely to have wasted time as we have production targets).

ReplyQuote
scorp
(@scorp)
Active Engineer
15/02/2018 1:23 pm  

The PDCA process was quite important in the 60s and 70s. It even led to massive improvements in quality for the Japanese manufacturers back then. But from an engineering perspective, the its efficacy still needs to be confirmed. It is quite a lengthy process nonetheless.

ReplyQuote

Working

Please Login or Register